Saturday, July 16, 2011

Baking with Mom - Red, White, and Blue Cheesecake


My mom made this beautiful cheesecake for a 4th of July party.  Doesn't it look so sinfully good??  When I saw the picture posted on her Facebook page I told her she had to post in on here.  I recommend you run out and make this cheesecake ASAP, and then send me a slice!

From my mom...

Red, White, and Blue Cheesecake
-from Taste of Home, June/July 2011 edition

The Crust
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
3/4 cup butter
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

The Filling
5 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup half and half
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 egg yolk
1 cup crushed strawberries
1 cup crushed blueberries

1.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and lemon peel.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Whisk egg yolks and vanilla; add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.

2.  Press into the bottom and 3 inches up the sides of a greased 9-inch springform pan.  (Don't make the same mistake I did - I greased a coated pan and when the crust cooked it slid down the sides.  However, I baked it a little longer and it turned out good.  Nobody knew the difference!).  Place pan on a baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degress for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on a wire rack.

3.  For filling, in a large bowl beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.  Beat in the half and half, flour, lemon peel, salt, and vanilla.  Add the eggs and yolk; beat on low speed just until combined.

4.  Divide batter in half.  Fold crushed strawberries and blueberries into half of the batter.  Pour into crust.  Top with the remaining batter.  Return pan to baking sheet.

5.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 300 and bake for 60-70 minutes longer or until center is almost set.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.  Refrigerate overnight.  Remove the side of the pan.

6.  Garnish with assorted berries.  (I had sliced some strawberries and added the raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries and mixed with a little sugar.  I spooned these into the center of the cake).

Makes 16 servings.

Warning- this is not an inexpensive cheesecake to make because I had to purchase all of the fresh berries.  BUT it was wonderful and only 2 pieces were left at the end of the party, and there were 3 other desserts there!


The only thing wrong with the picture is I forgot to put my little American Flag on top before I served it!

No comments:

Post a Comment