Saturday, July 9, 2011

Adventures in Baking - Lemon Thyme Cookies

This is what happens when you forget to put the full amount of flour in cookie dough...


You get one big cookie blob!

As I was scooping out the dough onto the pan I thought to myself,
"Wow this dough is really wet and gooey!"
Duh.
I'm pretty sure I put in 2 cups of flour
instead of the 2 1/2 it called for.

Guess I was tired from waking up at 6:00am this morning
to see an early screening of Harry Potter.
(It was awesome, by the way)

After that sad mess came out of the oven, 
I added some flour to the dough until it seemed right 
and was able to salvage some cookies.
And I have to say, they're pretty darn good!


Lemon Thyme Cookies
Inspired by the big batch of fresh thyme growing on our balcony
Adapted from this Land O'Lakes recipe

2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400.
Put all ingredients into a bowl.
Mix on low until mixed well, scraping the sides often.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a baking sheet a few inches apart.
Bake 6-8 minutes until golden around the edges.
Cool on sheet for a couple minutes, then move to cooling rack.

I was going to add the glaze that's on the Land O'Lakes recipe
but I didn't have powdered sugar on hand.
And I actually liked them better without the extra sweetness of frosting.
They're nice, light, with just enough lemon to be refreshing.
Perfect for a summer day!


5 comments:

  1. Oh no! Cookie fail! Those other ones turned out perfect though. So, how was the movie? Everything you imagined it would be? I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I don't bake because I always forget things and baking is not as forgiveable as cooking! but the round ones turned out great and I'm sure they were delicious :D can't wait to see HP this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Hannah, HP7 was soo good! You'll definitely like it if you're a Potter fan. And the 3D was super cool too. Hope you guys get a chance to see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny! That's exactly what my cookies look like after coming out of the oven. That's why I don't bake cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never thought of putting herbs into sweets until my friend made rosemary shortbread, which was amazing! Your combination of lemon and thyme sounds delicious! I tend to like unusual flavor combination, so I'd like to try this.

    ReplyDelete