Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Baby Waiting Brownies

I've been on maternity leave for 23 days now.
And I'm bored.
and washed all the baby clothes.
And if I watch one more episode of A Baby Story
I just might kill someone.

What happens when I'm stuck at home with nothing to do?
I bake.

This past weekend, in between my "pre-labor" contractions
(which feel a lot like labor to me!)
I found some chocolate in the pantry 
and whipped up these brownies.


I used this recipe from The Joy of Baking website
and altered it just a bit to use dark chocolate
with swirls of white chocolate on top.
And they came out perfect,
with the right mix of a little bit cakey
and just enough fudgey
with a slight crisp on the outside.


Meanwhile, the hubs prepared himself for the
(hopefully soon)
arrival of our baby girl.



Dark and White Chocolate Swirled Brownies
Adapted from Joy of Baking

7 oz dark chocolate, broken in pieces
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-3 oz white chocolate, broken into pieces
1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350.
Butter an 8"x8"baking dish and line the bottom with parchment.
In a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate and butter together over simmering water.
Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder and sugar.
Then add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time.  Stir well after each egg.
Last, stir in the flour and salt until smooth.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Now, melt the white chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring until smooth.
Drop dollops of white chocolate on top of the brownie batter.
Using a knife, swirl the white chocolate into the batter.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
ENJOY!


1 comment: