Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Slow Cooker - Carnitas Tacos


Again, please excuse the blurry iphone photos.
I dropped my camera and broke the lens.
And I'm poor.  
So we'll have to settle for blurry photos for a while.

Moving on...

I love my slow cooker.
I mean, really, you throw in a bunch of stuff at noon
go to work, run your errands, veg on the couch
and 6-8 hours later you have dinner.
Sometimes I wish I could cook every meal that way!

This Carnitas recipe from Epicurious is one of my favorites.

It is the definition of easy,
with less than 10 ingredients 
and is SOO flavorful.
If you want to impress your husband or friends,
this is the perfect recipe!

Carnitas
(adapted from Epicurious)
2 lbs pork shoulder (Boston butt) cut into 1 inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano 
1/2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces
corn tortillas
avocado
fresh cilantro
other fixings (sour cream, onions, etc.)

Toss the pork pieces in the bowl of the slow cooker with the salt, pepper, and oregano.  
Place onion pieces on top of the pork.
Cook on low about 6 hours, till meat is tender and falling apart.
Shred the meat with two forks.
Serve on corn tortillas with avocado, cilantro, or any other toppings you like.
(I love using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. 
It has the same sour taste with much less fat.)


YUM!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go wrong with tacos. I LOVE anything south of the border. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete