Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Tor!


The hubby turned 32 this past weekend and we celebrated with good friends, a bike ride up the coast, and some yummy carrot cake.

A few weeks ago when I asked what kind of birthday cake Tor wanted he immediately replied "carrot cake!"  I'd never made a carrot cake before so I quickly looked on one of my favorite baking websites, The Joy of Baking, to find this delicious recipe.  For some reason I'd always been kind of afraid of carrot cake and had only recently started eating it.  I think it was the 7 year old in me thinking that the words "carrot" and "cake" did not belong together.  Boy was I wrong!  This recipe was soo yummy and moist, with cream cheese frosting slathered on top.

The hardest part was definitely shredding the carrots.  Since I don't have a food processor I had to do it all by hand.  My arm was pretty tired by the time I got 2 cups worth!


After mixing all the ingredients I poured the batter into two 9-inch cake pans lined with parchment paper.



After letting the cakes cool, I spread cream cheese frosting all over and stacked them on top of each other.  Next time I'll probably leave the lemon zest out to make the frosting nice and smooth. 



Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the birthday boy blowing out candles.  But I'm loving my new cake plate I got at Home Goods!

How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment