Friday, February 11, 2011

Pasta with Basil Tomato Sauce


I've had a hankering for pasta all week.  I had a bunch of basil left over from something I made earlier this week and a couple cans of tomatoes in the pantry so I decided to try some homemade tomato basil sauce.  A quick search led me to this recipe on allrecipes.com.   I substituted the fresh tomatoes for one can of crushed and one can of whole tomatoes, and I used almost a full cup of fresh basil.  The result was pretty tasty, without the sugar found in many jarred sauces.  I may tinker with the seasonings a bit more in the future, but I think this recipe is a keeper!

Here's what I used:

1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can whole tomatoes
1 cup fresh chopped basil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
thin spaghetti pasta

1.  Chop the whole tomatoes (I like big chunky pieces).  You could skip that step altogether, I suppose, and just buy a can of diced tomatoes instead. Put both cans of tomatoes into a medium saucepan with the basil.  Heat on medium low heat.
I LOVE the smell of fresh basil!

2.  Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a medium pan and saute the onions and garlic until they're translucent.

3. Add the onion mixture to the tomatoes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Simmer on low heat for 2 hours until sauce thickens.
* I may have added a splash (or two) of red wine at this point too.  But nobody was home to see me so you can't prove it!

Kinda looks like salsa
4. Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling.  Add pasta.  Cook until al dente.  Serve with a generous helping of tomato sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan.  And wah-lah....Dinner is Served!

Look at all that chunky goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment